Chickpea and Sausage Jambalaya
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you want it spicier)
- 1 pkg Yves veggie sausages, thickly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp parsley
- 3 cups uncooked white rice
- 6 cups water
- 4 green onions, sliced
1. Heat oil on medium heat in a stockpot. Add in onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, and cayenne. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until veggies are a deep golden brown.
2. Add in sausage and cook for 5 mins, or until sausage begins to brown.
3. Add in chickpeas, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, and rice. Stir until rice is coated.
4. Add in water, cover, and cook on medium-low heat, covered, for about 30 mins until rice is soft and liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove bay leaves and stir in green onions. Serve.
Thickly slice 6 large carrots and boil or steam until soft. Drain. Mix with 1 tbsp margarine, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp paprika, pinch of cayenne, and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
I made Isa's cornbread from the PPK, but I did make a few changes. 1. I baked it in a 10" cast iron pan that I pre-heated in the oven before I poured the batter in. 2. I upped the maple syrup to 1/4 cup to make it a bit sweeter.