Funny story. We were at the mall the other day and were at the exit getting the kids dressed to go back outside in the cold. Another Mom and her kid came up, who also paused to get hats, coats, and mitts on. Now, I was facing this mother, but Vegan Mom's back was turned and did not see that they were carrying Happy Meals from McDonalds. Vegan Mom then said, rather loudly, "What is that smell? Do you smell cat food, or something?" Ha ha. The truth was, it really did smell like cat food. Man, and I used to love McDonald's. Anyway, here is the recipe for the risotto from a few nights ago. It is relatively simple and easy and tastes great.
- 3 tbsp margarine
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5 cups hot veggie stock
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and saute onion for 3-4 mins, until translucent. Add in rice and stir for 2-3 mins.
2. Add in some of the stock (make sure it is hot) and cook, stirring frequently until liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding enough of the stock until rice is tender (should take about 20 mins).
3. Add peas and stir well, letting the peas thaw. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the nutritional yeast, and serve.