- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup vegan chicken broth powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 apples, peeled and finely diced (I used McIntosh)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp vegan chicken broth powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Make the seitan. Mix wheat gluten, broth powder and spices in a bowl. Whisk water, soy sauce, and oil in another and add to flour. Mix into a dough and knead for a few mins. Shape into a log and set aside.
2. Make the filling. Mix apples, onions, raisins, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper together.
3. Slice seitan into 6 equal pieces. Press each piece as flat as you can with the heel of your hand. Place about 2 spoonful of filling on each piece of seitan and roll up. Secure rolled seitan with two pieces of kitchen string. Not all the stuffing will be used.
4. Put extra stuffing and the other cut up apple in the bottom of a medium sized greased baking dish (I used an 8 x 11.5" dish). Mix broth powder into the boiling water and pour over top of apples. Place seitan rolls on top.
5. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 mins. Remove foil and turn seitan over. If apple mixture looks too dry, add a bit more water. Spray tops of seitan with a little oil and bake uncovered for 30 mins, or until seitan has browned and is firm to the touch.
6. Remove string and serve seitan with the apple stuff (let's call it chutney) on the side.