- 1 pkg firm tofu, pressed and cut into thin slices
- oil for frying
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
1. Toss tofu in cornstarch and fry in oil in batches over medium heat until golden. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Fry garlic for a min or so, until golden. Add spice power and fry for1 min. Add tomatoes, water, sauces, and sugar and mix well. Adjust flavours to your taste. Add tofu and bring to bubbling. Cook for at least 10 mins, until sauce thickens a bit. Add coriander and lime juice and cook for a few mins, until coriander wilts a bit.