The original version of this recipe calls for pork belly, which, I have to admit, I have never had. But, I imagine it would be kind of chewy and crispy. So, I have substituted crispy tofu. This recipe is also heavy on the cilantro, so cut back or eliminate it altogether if you don't like cilantro's unique flavour.
Monday, May 12, 2008
- 1 pkg firm tofu, pressed and cut into thin slices
- oil for frying
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
1. Toss tofu in cornstarch and fry in oil in batches over medium heat until golden. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Fry garlic for a min or so, until golden. Add spice power and fry for1 min. Add tomatoes, water, sauces, and sugar and mix well. Adjust flavours to your taste. Add tofu and bring to bubbling. Cook for at least 10 mins, until sauce thickens a bit. Add coriander and lime juice and cook for a few mins, until coriander wilts a bit.