I think it is safe to say that spring has finally come to stay. After a few days of snow flurries and temperatures near freezing, today was bright and sunny, and the forecast looks like more of the same. The ice is finally all melted on the lake, and plenty of people and their pets were out and about today.Warm weather always makes me hungry for Mexican food, and tonight I wanted something spicy. I made tempeh strips a la my tempeh gyro (but with no marjoram and rosemary, and more sage) and topped them with these spicy onions.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 vidalia onion, halved and sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- few dashes Tabasco sauce
1. Make tempeh as per the instructions in this recipe (spice as you see fit). When tempeh slices are cooked, slice into smaller strips.
2. Heat a frying pan over med-hi heat. Roast whole jalapeno peppers on the pan, turning regularly to lightly char the skin. Remove from heat and let cool. When cool, slice in half, deseed, and thickly slice.
3. Add oil to frying pan and increase heat to med-hi. Add onions and saute for 5 mins, until onions are just beginning to brown. Add garlic and pepper and fry for 2 mins. Add Tabasco to taste and remove from heat.
4. Place a few strips of tempeh on a small wheat tortilla and top with onion mixture. Top that with tomato and salsa.