Makes 8 bundles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cold Earth Balance margarine, cut into chunks
- 6 to 8 tbsp cold water
- 2 large cooking apples
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups chopped breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- water and soy milk for brushing
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Make the dough. Whisk flour, sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Add in margarine chunks and work into the flour with a pastry cutter until it looks like coarse bread crumbs. Add enough water in to make a soft dough, using a fork to work the liquid into the flour. Gently knead to thoroughly mix. Shape into an 8" log, wrap in a damp cloth and stick in the fridge while you make the filling.
2. Peel, core, and chop the apples. Mix apples with lemon juice, sugar and syrup in a bowl. Add sausage and walnuts and mix well.
3. Mark out 8 equal sections on the dough log (should be 1" each). Using a serrated knife, saw off a section. On a floured surface, roll out piece of dough into a 7 to 8" circle. Place 1/8 of the filling in the middle of the circle (about a generous 1/4 cup) and brush the edge of the dough with water. Bring up edges, working your way around the circle, and seal. Pinch the dough together in the centre to make a little peak (like you see in the pic). Place on prepared sheet and repeat with remaining dough and filling.
4. Brush bundles with plain soy milk and bake for about 25 mins, until golden. Cool for 10 mins and serve warm.