- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- oil for frying
1. Whisk flours, salt, and spices in a bowl, then add oil and enough water to make a dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth (6-8 mins). I did all this in a stand mixer.
2. Put dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel for at least 30 mins.
3. Begin heating about 1.5 inches of oil in a pan over med-hi heat (350 degrees is the magical number but I never check it. The oil needs to be hot enough or the pooris won't puff up).
4. Divide dough into 12 pieces (more if you want small bites for the kiddies) and roll each into about a 5 inch circle. Cover dough with a damp towel.
5. Carefully add one piece of dough to the pan. It should pop right back up to the surface. Press it back down into the oil (with the back of a slotted spoon) until it puffs up (this part is fun). When puffed, flip over and cook for 20 seconds.
6. Remove and drain. I covered mine with a towel on a plate to keep warm while cooking the others.