Makes 1 crapton (i.e. 2 metric buttloads)
- 1 pkg tempeh (or tofu, frozen and thawed), cut into small cubes
- 4 large peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- large chunk of ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water (or more)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Place peaches, ginger, water, and sugar in a blender and process until very smooth. Heat 1/2 of the mixture in a non-stick frying pan over med-hi heat and bring to bubbling. Add tempeh and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has been absorbed/has cooked down. Reduce heat and cook until tempeh becomes golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from pan.
2. Wipe pan down and return to heat. Add oil and saute onion and pepper for 5-7 mins, until translucent. Add remaining peach mixture and return tempeh to the pan. Add chickpeas, hoisin sauce, and water and bring to bubbling. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins, adding more water if sauce gets too thick.
3. Stir in onions and remove from heat. Serve over quinoa or rice.