Makes about 7 cups
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 cups water
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
1. Put sugar, berries and 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and bring to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 mins, until berries soften and release their colour. Remove from heat, stir in lemon zest, and let cool.
2. Strain berry mixture into a pitcher through a fine sieve, pressing the berries with a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Add lemon juice and water to the pitcher and mix well. If the lemonade is too strong, add more water.
3. Serve in a tall glass with plenty of ice cubes.