I almost didn't post a picture tonight because the dish looks so horrid. Hey, you can't win 'em all. The taste and texture, however, is spot on. For some reason I was thinking about Hamburger Helper, and so I decided to make a dish inspired by that weird white hand mascot (a cousin of the Pillsbury Dough Boy, perhaps?). I essentially revised my creamy mac and cheeze and added tempeh burger.
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 cups tofu (does not have to be silken)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp miso (something mellow)
- 1 tsp salt
1. Cook macaroni, as per directions, until al dente.
2. While macaroni is cooking, make the burger. Simmer tempeh in water for 10 mins to help reduce the tempeh's bitterness. Cool, then break into small chunks or grate.
5. Drain macaroni and return to pot over medium heat. Add tempeh and mix well. Add sauce and bring to bubbling. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and reduces a bit (about 5 mins). Serve.