Ah, the news year is here. I am desperately trying to ignore the fact that I have two courses to teach on Monday, starting at 8:30 in the morning. Gack! On the other hand, it is high time the kids stop kicking around the house and get back to school. I am not really one for new year's resolutions, so I think I will just try to keep on keepin' on (as a wise man once said). 2009 promises to bring many new challenges, not the least of which is a 4th addition to our Vegan Family. Yep. 4 kids. Wow, eh? My very own vegan commune. If your kids are like mine, they like broccoli and they like potatoes. Why not put them together in a creamy soup? I keep the skins on for this recipe, but you can peel your potatoes if that is more your style.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large sweet onion, small dice
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium red potatoes, skins on, small dice
- 1 cup water, or veggie broth
- 3 cups plain soy milk
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup soy creamer, or coconut milk cream (i.e. place a can of coconut milk in the fridge to let the fat separate from the water)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions, celery, and garlic for 5 mins, until softened. Add potatoes and saute for 2 mins.
2. Add water and soy milk to the pot (should cover most of the potatoes--add more if needed). Bring to bubbling, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 mins, until potatoes are soft.
3. Remove half of the soup from the pot and blend until smooth. Return to pot along with the broccoli. Return to bubbling, and cook for 5-7 mins, until broccoli is cooked (soft, but not mushy).
4. Add nutritional yeast, creamer, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with some baguettes. Look at these awesome baguette forms Vegan Mom got me for Christmas!