- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup long grain rice (I used basmati)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped seitan (optional)
- 1 cup soy milk (plus more, if needed)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil and margarine in a large pot over medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly for a minute or so, until flour becomes a nice golden brown and has a nutty smell.
2. Add onion, green pepper, celery, and bay leaf and fry, stirring regularly, until softened (about 5 mins). Add spices and fry for another minute. Add water and rice and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to bubbling, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until rice is cooked (about 15 mins). Stir regularly to keep rice from sticking.
4. Add seitan, if using, and soy milk. Cook until liquid thickens a bit.
5. Stir in greens onion and chopped parsley. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve.