- 1 pkg tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lemon grass stalk, outer husk and end removed, finely chopped
- 1" chunk of ginger, minced
- 1 green chile, seeded and minced
- 1 -2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce, or mushroom soy sauce
- 1 can coconut milk, divided into fatty part and thin/watery part
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- salt, if needed
Preheat oven or BBQ to 400 degrees
1. Fry tofu in a bit of oil over medium heat until nicely golden on all sides. Sprinkle tumeric over tofu and mix well. Add a few splashes of veggie broth to help evenly coat the tofu, then remove from heat. Remove tofu from pan and wipe pan dry.
2. Add coconut to the pan and dry fry for a few mins until it begins to turn golden. Add onion, garlic, lemon grass, ginger and chile with a splash of oil and fry for 4-5 mins, until softened.
3. Add oyster sauce with the thin part of the coconut milk and mix well. Add veggie stock, lime juice, sugar, and vinegar and mix well.
4. Pour mixture into a clay baker and add tofu. Cover and bake for 40 mins, stirring after 25 mins. Add in coconut fat and mix well. Bake for 10 more mins.
5. Remove from oven, stir in diced tomatoes. Adjust seasoning if needed. Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice.