Sunday, December 16, 2012
- 3.5 lbs potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- margarine to taste (I like 1/4 cup)
- soy milk to taste (I use about 1/2 - 3/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp large grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp horseradish
- salt, to taste
- 1 pkg firm or extra firm tofu, small dice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp each coriander, ground mustard, sage, parsley, tarragon, smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp HP sauce (or A1)
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups finely sliced kale
- 2/3 cups white wine
1. Peel potatoes and garlic, then cut into chunks. Boil until tender in salted water. Drain, then mash until very smooth. Add as much margarine and soy milk as you wish to make an easily spreadable mashed potato. Stir in mustard and horseradish, then season to taste. Set aside.
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over med-hi heat. Add tofu and fry until golden on all side. Add spices, and stir well to coat.
2. Add soy sauce, HP, and read wine and stir well. When wine has reduced, remove from heat and set aside.
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Saute onions for 7-10 min, or until lightly golden and tender. Add garlic and dry 1 min.
2. Add carrots, leeks, and kale and fry for 5 mins.
3. When kale and leeks have cooked down, add wine and let reduce. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Distribute tofu evenly on the bottom of a large, oven-proof, dish (somewhere in the 10.5 x 13.5" range).
2. Top with the veggie mixture.
3. Gently spread mashed potatoes on top.
4. Bake for about 35-40 mins, or until potatoes are golden.
Serve with tomato chutney, or this tomato-onion relish.