Sunday, December 22, 2013
Vegan Irish Cream
Another quick post because I have not posted enough calories on this blog for the holiday season. Har har. When Vegansaurus posted this recipe for vegan Irish Cream it caught my eye because Bailey's was one of my all-time faves back in the day. I'm not sure why I have not explored Irish cream before because there are a bunch of recipes for it out there on the interwebs that are easily veganized. I made the recipe linked to above, but I remember Bailey's being much sweeter. Granted, it's been a good 8 years since I have had the original version, but the combination below satisfies my food memory. The above pic is a 50/50 mix of the Irish Cream and almond milk with ice--delicious! Here is what I did, just in case you like specific measurements.
- 1/2 cup extra strong coffee
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup each maple syrup, white sugar, brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Irish whiskey
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk (optional, see note)
1. Brew coffee and place into a pitcher. Blend in cocoa powder, then sugars and maple syrup until dissolved.
2. Add extract, whiskey, and coconut milk and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Thin with almond milk if desired.
3. Refrigerate in a glass jar with a lid and serve cold. Shake jar to re-blend before serving.
Note: I made this with full-fat coconut milk. It's a bit thick and rich, so I thinned it with almond milk. I think this would work just as well with low fat coconut milk, but you might not want to thin it. Do what works for you.