Friday, July 24, 2009

Raspberry Syrup

Did I mention that I am drowning in raspberries? Not a bad thing, I suppose. I thought I would try my hand at a raspberry syrup, mainly for flavouring lemonade this summer. This is pretty serious stuff and little goes a long way as you can see by the deep red colour--a spoonful or two will flavour a tall glass of lemonade. It is not too sweet and still maintains the punch of a fresh raspberry. It is rather thin, so if you want to drizzle it over pancakes, cook some of the syrup with water, sugar, and a thickening agent (arrowroot, perhaps). I made a lot, so half the recipe if you so desire.

INGREDIENTS
Makes 4.5 cups
- 6 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar

METHOD
1. Crush berries in a saucepan, add water and lemon juice. Bring to bubbling over med-hi heat and cook for 1 min, stirring constantly.
2. Pass mixture through a fine sieve, using the back of a spoon to get all the liquid out.
3. Place liquid back in the saucepan and add sugar. Bring to boiling and cook for 1 min, stirring constantly (be careful not to over boil).
4. Transfer into a glass jar and cool.

NOTE: if you pour the syrup into a sterilized canning jar and seal, it is hot enough to create a vacuum seal. You might want to seal several smaller jars to use throughout the summer.

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Mmmm. That is a great use for raspberries. I wish I was drowning in them like you are.

Mary said...

I wish I were drowning in raspberries.

Veggie Runnr said...

Lemonade + your raspberry syrup sounds like such a nice sweet treat! I will definitely be trying this.

Holly said...

You should try it in the raspberry buttercream frosting from VCTOTW! So good on chocolate cupcakes!

Kelly said...

What a fantastic idea! I can't wait to try this and then thicken it up for a pancake topping.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Boy if I lived closer I would come help with the raspberrie flood.. Bring on the waffles!

DJ said...

Oooh, this looks really good!

Chile said...

Drowning in raspberry syrup would definitely not be a bad way to go! It looks delicious.

I'd hoped to be drowning in pomegranate syrup this summer, but my friend's tree did not produce well. I'll have to settle for loads of prickly pear syrup instead.

Vegan Farmwoman said...

If you haven't already, you may want to try some herb syrups. Make a sugar syrup (1 cup water and 1 cup sugar)and pour the hot syrup over the herb of your choice. I used anise hyssop - sorry - I don't know how much. It's great mixed into lemonade. I think I'm going to try sage and rosemary too - sounds weird but it might work!

I also slow baked the sugar soaked anise hyssop leaves (200 degrees F) until they were dry - makes a nice crunchy sweet nibble. A friend suggested adding it to hard candy base to make a cough drop.

Laurie said...

I love raspberries! If I could take your extras, I totally would!

I'm thinking this would be delicious mixed with a little club soda, too. Reminds me of when we used to make summer trips to the U.S. They have the most random soda flavours there.

Susan G said...

Oh, to be drowning in raspberries......

The only way to get them here is to pay $5 for a 4 oz. container!

pleasurefromthethorns said...

that looks brilliant! you're an inspiration to all of us vegan dads out here. in my neck of the woods, choke cherries grow wild in the mountains during the fall and i think i'll harvest and make some syrup of my own. your raspberry syrup looks great and, if you enjoy the occasional frosty adult beverage, you can concoct your own one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Weisse. keep up the good work!

emma said...

you're lucky to be drowning in raspberries! i know how it gets old though, i'm drowning in mission figs and heirloom tomatoes from my garden.

Kalu said...

my grandma makes raspberry syrup every year .... my kids wait for it like christmas :))



<a href="http://www.humanrestore.com>documentaries</a>