Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Apple Juice

We have apples coming out of the wazoo! I guess it is too cold to grow apples up here (there are no local orchards that I know of), so my in-laws bring us a whole whack of apples from down south every fall. So, after making apple pie, apple crisp, and huge batch of apple sauce, we still had tons left. The obvious thing to do next was to try my hand at apple juice. OK, first just let me say that apple juice is A LOT of work. I don't know how they can sell huge cans of it for 99 cents. I started with a recipe in my canning cookbook that called for 24 lbs of apples to be chopped, cooked in 8 cups of water, then hung in a cheesecloth and left to drip for 2 hrs. That sounded like too much work, plus I doubted any cheesecloth could hold 24 lbs of cooked apples. Enter my Jack LaLanne power juicer! I figured the juicer would eliminate the initial cooking step and perhaps filter the juice a bit. Well, it didn't work exactly as planned since the juice still needed considerable straining to filter out all the sediment. Here is what I did to get a delicious juice with an amber colour and cidery taste. Son #1 set up the photo for tonight's post.

EQUIPMENT/INGREDIENTS
Makes about 6L of juice
- 24 lbs apples
- 1 juicer
- 2 clean tea towels, damp (they will get stained)
- two large pots/bowls
- kitchen thermometer
- 6 1L canning jars and lids

METHOD
Sterilize your jars. Get a large pot of water boiling to process the jars of juice.
1. Use large rubber bands to affix the tea towels over the top of the pots/bowls. Don't make the towel tight over the bowl; rather, make sure it dips into the bowl so it can hold the juice.
2. Working in batches, chop the apples and process them through the juicer. Pour into the towel over one of the bowls and let drip through. You will find that the towel quickly gets gummed up with a pectiny residue, so I made this a pretty rough filtering. Once most of the juice passed through, I detached the towel and squeezed the remaining juice through. Then, I poured it through the other towel while I cleaned the first towel. I then passed it through the first towel once again.
3. Once all the juice has been filtered, heat to 190 degrees F and keep at that temperature for 5 mins. Pour into jars, top with lids, then screw the ring on finger tight. Place in pot of boiling water (making sure water covers lids), return to boiling, then boil for 10 mins with lid on. Remove from heat, remove lid, and let sit for 5 mins. Remove jars from water and let cool.

27 comments:

Basht said...

ohh yum. I am overly jealous right now.

Kris said...

Wow. Kudos on working with 24 lb. of apples! We, too, have tonnes of apples lying around the house, and I've been making apple cakes left and right. Thanks for posting this! :)

Ms. T (of haiku tofu) said...

Tell Son #1 he did a great job of setting up that photo!

Szabó Gábor said...

Hello,

Iam from Hungary(Europe) Iam following your blog for some months.

Let me advise to You something for juice making: Angel Juicer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z4xAEQ4-Xs

Its really hard, it makes very good quality juicer from apple or from anything! Its not needed to filter juice, because its so clean. You can not find any pulp in juice.

The advantage of juicing is enzymes. After you heat it... you will loose it.

So it is very worth juicing every day, newly.

I just wanted to share my experience, I hope it will be useful for you. I think your children will like the fresh juices. :)

bugbear said...

Well the traditional method of making cider is just to press fresh apples. So they probably do that, then pasteurize the result to make "apple juice".

If you have a juicer, you might want to try some freshly juiced apples, depending on the variety it is incredibly vital and fresh tasting! And of course you have already done some for storage so that's good.

If you want you can leave the fresh apple juice (unheated) in a loosely covered jug for about a week and it will turn into hard cider.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Aww I love that photo, put such a smile on my face. Thank you for this recipe!

tie-dyed doula said...

awesome! thanks for posting this, we have tons of apples in the bin as well! shine on!

Kuntrageous said...

apple juice really is a LOT of work. i only make it as a treat for my husband a couple of times a year.

Cari Miller said...

I've never done apple juice for exactly the reason you mentioned: So much work!

You should try apple butter, if you've not before. Super super tasty, and not all that much work. I made about three batches of it last weekend after an orchard visit.

Sophia.Pflieger said...

That looks so good! But seems like a lot of work, hopefully the taste was worth it!
We had such a crappy summer here (Kingston) that there was hardly any apple crop this year.
The first frost was a week ago! And it usually doesn't happen till the 3rd-4th week of October.
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Sophia.Pflieger said...

That looks so good! But seems like a lot of work, hopefully the taste was worth it!
We had such a crappy summer here (Kingston) that there was hardly any apple crop this year.
The first frost was a week ago! And it usually doesn't happen till the 3rd-4th week of October.
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Did you say 24 pounds of apples! that is ALOT!

Anonymous said...

I found this:
RESCUE INK is a rescue group unlike any you’ve seen before: a bunch of tattooed, motorcycle-riding tough guys who have joined together to fight animal cruelty, educate abusers and help resolve situations other rescue groups can’t – or won’t – handle themselves.

Some of the guys grew up in the projects, some had their brushes with the law, some used their smarts to survive, even thrive on the streets. But that was then, this is now, and today they all share a common goal: Using every means within the thin boundaries of the law, they persuade and educate abusers about the right way to treat animals.

Like many of the animals they save, the members of Rescue Ink know what it’s like to be given a second chance in life. And they’re using theirs to help the animals, no matter what it takes.
http://www.rescueink.org

Kamaile said...

Yum, lots of work but I bet it is delicious.

The picture looks like fall, great job son #1!

kelli(ann) said...

tell son #1 i say "beautiful picture!"

that sounds like a lot of work but i guess worth it if you have the extra apples.

Amy said...

Great post! We're just in our canning infancy here at Irreverent Vegan. We have an abundance of apples in Michigan, so we'll have to give this one a go one of these weekends soon. Thanks!

sageg said...

That's a lot of work! It must taste yummy! There is nothing like fresh orange juice!

I'm a fan of the unfiltered, uncooked stuff myself. We usually buy it directly from the orchard where they have industrial presses. It freezes well, so it can be kept in your freezer, or purchased as needed, then thawed.

I've made it at home with a juicer, but not for long term storage. I'd probably just freeze it as well though.

I've got a bunch of apples that I want to dehydrate for snacks. But now I'm thinking...there must be someway to use for juice. :)

I love your blog. Great that you are a dad, great that you are a vegan, and great that you are Canadian. I just wish my kids (5, 8) were more adventures in their tastes.

Heather C. said...

Wow, that's an impressive juicing process! But from the looks of it, well worth the time and patience.

Out of curiosity, what kind of apples did you use?

Heli said...

Mm.. apple juice. Around here (Finland) we have "juicing stations" where you bring your apples, pay a fee and they sqeeze the juice out in these big presses. The process is really cool and juice is heavenly.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Thanks for the recipe!

bchmomx3 said...

I love fresh apple juice. It looks wonderful. I made applesauce in my crockpot last week and had it over ice cream. Yummy.

carolina said...

nice picture! looks delicious :)

Vegan Dad said...

Heather C,
They are Spies, I think. The people at the orchard said they were Spies, but they really don't hold up when cooked like Spies usually do. They have been disappointing as a cooking apple which is why I turned to juice. They are windfalls, so they don't look pretty but they make a great tasting juice.

Tami said...

I was thinking about apples today too...so I made vegan apple dumplings. So good!

Krista said...

I made apple and pear juice this year, and used a juice steamer.

http://www.juicer-steamer.com/index.html

You don't have to core or peel the fruit, just chop it up and put it in the top tier. Then add water to the bottom, assemble the whole mess, steam for an hour, and you'll get juice. After that I ran the fruit through a food mill and made fruit butter. Yum!

If you don't want to watch your fruit butter for hours, waiting for it to cook down, this method works very well:

http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm

Liz said...

Gorgeous! I'm sure you will savor every drop.

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Loved your vegan sausages! Hubby still raves about them. Pumpkin is good in just about anything :) Sorry to hear you don't get apples!! I grew up near where Johnny Appleseed was born, so I guess I'm spoiled :) Can't wait to try your pot pies!