Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Penne with Seitan Sausage and Tomato Sauce

I am still on the quest for kid-friendly dishes for my newly veggie nephew and had recently concocted a pasta dish with lentils and beans, but then found out that he really does not like beans. Alas! So, this is a much less complex dish that uses good ol' seitan sausages and a simple but tasty tomato sauce. Since this dish only calls for 2 sausages, fire the other two in the freezer to have ready for next time. This is adapted from The Sopranos Cookbook. If you want more zing, add some red pepper flakes to the sauce.

INGREDIENTS
- 1 lb penne, or rigatoni, or ziti
- 2 seitan sausages, cooled and sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 28 oz can plum tomatoes (juice and all) passed though a food mill, or 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast

METHOD
1. Prepare pasta according to the directions on the box.
2. While paste is cooking, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Fry sliced sausage for a few mins on each side, until nicely browned. Remove from pan and set aside. Add remaining tbsp of oil, then fry the garlic until very lightly browned and fragrant.
3. Add wine and simmer until wine reduces by about a third to a half. Add tomatoes then seasons with salt, pepper and basil. Simmer for 10 mins, uncovered.
4. Add tomato paste and nooch and stir well to thicken. Add more paste if needed. Add sausages to the pan and heat through.
5. Drain pasta and toss with the sauce. Serve.

11 comments:

Free to be me: Danielle said...

This looks yummy...

Oh... if you can tell me secrets to feeding veg kids that don't like beans... you will be my hero!!!

(I made the joke to my husband tonight that I need to start feeding my youngest (he's 3) protein shakes... for real the child could live on fruit alone ;) )

Kara Hadley said...

he doesn't like beans? oh boy, that seems like it's going to make protein difficult.
this looks delicious, though.

Deborah B said...

These look great. Where do you buy your vital wheat gluten? We're in canada too and find it fairly expensive (in the States they sell it at WalMart for cheap). any suggestions? thanks

Banana said...

i sneak red lentils into my tomato sauce. ;-D i usually make a bunch and freeze half in usable portions.

Vonlipi said...

That sounds lovely! I have a batch of seitan sausages steaming right now and I just might do this sauce too!

Thank you for posting vegan recipes that look so good. It helps me plan my menus. I'm not vegan but I'm always on the lookout for new things to try!

Heather Prins said...

i have no idea where to get seitan. I live in Alberta

CrookedMoonMama said...

I make something just like this, but we also throw in onions and bell pepper. Yum!

Cmac said...

I just made your sausage recipe with only some slight modifications. They were great now I will have to try them with your pasta recipe soon. My variation on the recipe can be found Here

mitchxwetton said...

I was wondering if there is a company that makes seitan sausage or other seitan products in Canada, and if you know where to buy them?

mitchxwetton said...

I was wondering if there is a company that makes seitan sausage, that you can just buy in stores?

keri said...

This is so easy! I can have this everyday! I really don't have to worry on what to eat.
oak dining table