Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Basic Sourdough Bread: Baking Through the Bread Baker's Apprentice

The saga continues! I am sorry to say that Google Books no longer has an extended preview of the book (makes sense, really) so I can't link to it anymore. But, as I have said before, the book is well worth the money. I have blogged about this bread before, so this time I made sourdough rolls. They are the perfect accompaniment to stews and soups, and I used them as the bread for the stuffing for my Maple Apple Cider Tofu (perfect for the holiday season!) It makes a great stuffing--complex flavour and chewy texture.

GENERAL NOTES
- see what I posted here about the starter
- as with all sourdough, patience is a virtue since the dough rises slower than with commercial yeast
- I made 2.5 oz rolls and baked them at 400 degrees for 15 mins on a hot baking stone

VEGAN NOTES
- none

5 comments:

melissa joanne said...

Those look perfect! I have been saying I would make a sourdough starter again for ages, but have yet to do so. I think you may have pushed me over the edge.

Mayo said...

These sourdough rolls looking amazing. Have your kids helped your out in the kitchen? Did you know that kids that help you in the kitchen are more likely to try new and healthy food, very important for your vegan family.

That is why I work for The Monday Campaigns, a non profit that leads health initiatives. My favorite health campaign is The Kids Cook Monday which encourages families to cook and eat together every Monday. There are so many benefits to family dinners!

We would love if you would write a weekly blog on Monday about your adventures in the kitchen with your kids. It is a great way to spend quality time with them and they will love it! Please visit our website http://www.mondaycampaigns.org/the-kids-cook-monday/ to learn more about it.

Cant wait to hear about your kitchen stories,
Abby
TheKidsCookMonday@gmail.com

Rachel Tahnee said...

What a fantastic blog!! I just shared your whole blog on Facebook for all my friends :) I just started my own whole food vegan blog. Many Blessings to yoU!

http://www.wholesomekidfood.blogspot.com/

Miss Mouse said...

Oh my gosh, I drool so much when I read your bread posts! Bread fresh from the oven is sooooooo wonderful. I can't get the hang of high altitude baking, my dough turns into bricks that you could build with. Le sigh.

blessedmama said...

Boy, I have had mixed results with my sourdough, but these rolls look good. Are they extra sour or just mild? I'm going to keep trying on mine, as well.