Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Strawberry Biscuits

The first Ontario strawberries have made their appearance so it is time for all things cobbler and shortcake! This is a riff on Peter Reinhart's biscuits in Artisan Bread Every Day (much like my teff biscuits): they are veganized and sweetened but use the same method to produce a light, fluffy biscuit. The video is a touch long, but I wanted to show you the folding method in real time so you can see that it really is rather simple and quick to do. The trick is to keep everything well-floured. Here is the ingredient list:

INGREDIENTS
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- large pinch of salt

11 comments:

Noelle said...

These look fantastic! PErfect for strawberry season.

Alessandra said...

Very nice :-)

A.
http://alessandra-veganblog.blogspot.com/

c said...

I have always loved your blog since I discovered it a few years ago. But with these videos, it has been taken up a notch! Love love love the videos!!

Oh, and these strawberry biscuits looks so delicious!

cake said...

delicious! i'll have to make these! love your blog!

lauren said...

Great video. You make it look so easy!

Jesse said...

This is a great recipe for summer - and I love that you included a video! This recipe will definitely be added to my must bake list!

Alli D said...

I made these on Friday morning for Canada Day. Delicious! The walk-through video was very helpful.

So easy too. Something to make when you're looking to impress but don't have a lot of time.

Elyse said...

OH. MUH. GAWD. We just made these and our usual modus operandi is to make sweets, keep enough for one or two days and give the rest away. We'd already packed up the give aways when we tasted these and promptly unpacked them. We'll be keeping these for ourselves, thank you very much. So delicious!

Vegan in Vegas said...

Ok, I love the Vimeo posts, mostly because they help me get a handle on the time frame for a recipe. Also, they provide visual confirmation that I'm doing things right.

These strawberry biscuits were sweet and fluffy and so berry good. I loved serving them tonight to my husband and daughter, stuffed with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and a single scoop of SOY ice cream.

I would have loved to serve myself some too, but I had already eaten two of the biscuits straight out of the oven. Thankfully, there's always tomorrow.

Delectable!!

LifeChanger said...

These rocked! I made them for my wife for her birthday breakfast. I substituted strawberries with blueberries and the soy milk for almond milk since my wife is avoiding soy right now.

If anyone else uses almond milk, you should probably add a little extra flour in the recipe since it has less protein. It makes the dough a little wetter than vegandad's. You could also do what I did and just add lots of flour during the folding.

Foong Kok Chian said...

Nice recipe ^_^



http://alvis1990.blogspot.com