Sunday, March 2, 2014
Chocolate Cake with Mocha Ganache and Frosting
- 227g cake flour
- 65g cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp instant coffee or espresso powder
- 185g bittersweet vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 300g bittersweet vegan chocolate chips
- 200g margarine (or a margarine/vegetable shortening mix)
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup soy milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, or 325 convection
1. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans. Cut out two circles of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of the pans. Put the parchment papers in the bottom of the pans and grease it. Flour both pans.
2. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk chocolate soy milk and vinegar together. Add remaining ingredients and whisk well to blend.
3. Add dry ingredients and gently whisk until blended. Don't overdo it.
4. Divide batter evenly between the two pans.
5. Bake for 22-24 mins (convection), or 26-28 mins (non-convection), or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire racks for 5 mins, then flip the pans over the remove the cake. Remove the parchment paper. Cover the cakes with a damp towel and let them fully cool.
1. Heat coconut milk and instant coffee to bubbling in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and margarine. Stir until everything is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
1. Get water barely simmering in a double boiler. Add chocolate chips and margarine and stir until everything is melted. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 mins, or until just barely warm.
2. Add vanilla and icing sugar and whisk until smooth. As the icing sits, it will begin to get thicker. Blend in soy milk until you get the consistency you like. If you go overboard, you can always add more icing sugar.
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Cut each cake horizontally into two pieces.
2. When it has cooled, spoon 1/3 of the ganache on top of the bottom layer and spread. Top with the next layer of cake, then 1/3 of the ganache, then the next layer of cake, then the last 1/3 of the ganache, then the top layer of cake. If the layers start to slide a bit, just take your time. Place the cake in a cool place to firm up in between layers if you need to. I like the ganache to be a little on the runny side so that it soaks into the cake.
3. When your layers are assembled and stable, ice the entire cake in a thin layer of frosting. I like to do this after I have blended in the icing sugar in but before I add the soy milk. Place in a cool place to firm up.
4. Ice the rest of the cake. Top with grated chocolate if you want to. Enjoy!