We are having an actual spring this year--regular rain and cool nights. It's days like these that make me seek out something warm, hearty and comforting. Best to enjoy this dish before it gets too hot.
- 1/4 cup margarine, or oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 2 cups diced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp light tamari or soy sauce
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2.5 to 3 cups warm vegetable stock
- 1 19oz can mixed beans, rinsed and drained (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat margarine or oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions for 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add the tarragon and the mushrooms with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 3-5 mins, or until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add tamari and cook for another 5 mins. The mushrooms should be soft.
3. Add flour and mix well. Cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly.
4. Stream in 1.5 cups of the stock, stirring constantly so that the sauce remains smooth.
5. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. (NOTE: I do this because my kids are picky about pieces of mushroom. You can blend just half of the mixture.)
6. Return the blended mixture to the pan, add the remaining stock, the beans, and the peas. Bring to bubbling, stirring constantly.
7. Serve over thick slices of toasted hearty bread.