Friday, May 30, 2008

Brunch Skewers

Inspiration hit today as I was rummaging through the cupboards for something to make for lunch. When I saw the skewers from the chickenless wings, the now stale crusty French rolls, the pineapple, and the leftover breakfast sausages, the clouds opened and a light shone down upon me from heaven. A voice said, simply, "ye shall make brunch skewers, and they shall be tasty." I only wish that some strawberries had magically appeared in the fridge because they would have made this dish absolutely perfect. I also tried baking the french toast--success! If you have ever made vegan French toast you know it is a real pain (unless you have a brand new no-stick pan) because the batter sticks to the pan like glue. Baking french toast is easy and hassle free and is definitely the way I am making all my French toast from now on. The french toast batter recipe is adapted from this month's issue of VegNews and has a banana-y flavour which I totally love when combined with maple syrup.


INGREDIENTS
Makes 6 skewers
- 3 to 4 stale crusty French rolls (or French bread) cut into 18 chunks
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch tumeric

- 6 mini bamboo skewers
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 large breakfast sausages (i.e. make 6 sausages instead of the mini ones the recipe calls for), cut into 6 thick slices each
- 12 pineapple chunks
- 12 thick strawberry slices (not pictured)
- maple syrup for dipping

METHOD
Preheat oven to 425
1. In a food processor, or with an immersion blender, blend together banana slices, soy milk, flax seed, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and tumeric. Pour into a shallow dish and add in bread chunks. Toss bread in batter and leave for a few mins to soak in, turning once or twice.
2. While bread is soaking, wet the back of a piece of parchment paper and line a baking sheet. Spray parchment lightly with oil. Shake excess batter off bread chunks and place on baking sheet. Spray lightly with oil.
3. Bake bread for 5-7 mins per side, until it starts to turn golden brown. You can broil them at the very end for a min or so of you want to.
4. While bread is baking, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry sausage slices for a few mins, until heated through and a little crispy on the outside. Remove from pan, increase heat to med-hi, and add pineapple chucnks. Fry for 5 mins, stirring regularly, until beginning to brown. Remove from heat.
5. Assemble the skewers in the following order: french toast, pineapple, sausage, strawberry, french toast, pineapple, sausage strawberry, french toast. Serve with warmed maple syrup for dipping.

I also made the chocolate chocolate chip cookies from Veganomicon for a clean up/work night at the boys' school. I am totally making these for the upcoming bake sale and wanted try out a method that would consistently yield cookies as big as my head. So, I measured out 1/3 cup of cookie dough and pressed it into a 3 1/2 inch metal ring. I then baked for 11 mins--6 cookies per baking sheet (yes, they are huge!). They came out perfectly!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE write a cookbook already! I keep having to bring my laptop into the kitchen with me...your recipes are so consistantly good!!!
Just made the mini veggie-meatloaves last night and all I can say is WOW.Everyone.Must.Try.This.NOW.WOW.WOW.WOW.

chow vegan said...

What a great idea! Everything tastes better when it's on a stick! :D

It's hard to tell in the pic, exactly how big are those cookies? They look amazing!

Lovliebutterfly said...

This breakfast skewers are awesome! What a great idea!

Vegan Dad said...

Chow Vegan,
I guess I should have included a quarter or something in the picture for scale. You can kind of see in the pic that they take up most of a small plate. The baked cookies end up being just shy of 5 3/4 inches in diameter.

LJ said...

I made the sausages this morning along with EDBV crepes stuffed with fresh raspberries and celestial cream - AWESOME Breakfast. The sausages came out perfect!

homewith1 said...

Hi Vegan Dad;
I just have to say that I LOVE your blog. I check it every day. Everything always looks great. I also live in North Bay. I wonder if I know you? I was supposed to go to a clean up night at my daughters school on Friday as well. Do your boy's go to K.G. school? Please keep the great recipes coming.

Vegan Dad said...

homewith1,
Perhaps we do know each other, or it is more likely you know Vegan Mom. A few of us hardcore types went ahead and did some cleanup on Friday despite the rain. And we ate the cookies. Drop me an email at vegandadDOTblogspotATgmailDOTcom (replacing the DOT and AT with the appropriate symbols, of course).

Sarah said...

Third person this week I have found that have made those cookies. I just got the cookbook on loan from the library, Im going to make these cookies for sure. They look great!

Vivacious Vegan said...

I think gigantic cookies aree so much fun. I was going to make some cookies to take with us on our vacation next week and it's going to be tough to choose between these and lemon zingers I found on another blog. Hmmm... Whatever they are I think I'm going to make them big like yours.

pink peril said...

I too have long struggled with my vegan french toast sticking to the pan. But no more! The secret to not-stuck french toast is to lightly toast the bread before soaking it. Ever since I started toasting the bread before soaking/cooking it, I've had only beautiful, perfect, omni-looking french toast.

Vegan Dad said...

pink peril,
Interesting. I use stale bread, but perhaps this is not the same as toasting it.

pink peril said...

I've also used stale bread, but toasting has really made a huge difference. Perhaps it's magic.

Erin said...

I've often considered how to acheive big, thin bakery style cookies. Thanks for the tip!

Michelle said...

Those cookies look JUST like my favourite vegan cookies from a cafe here in Toronto. I neeeeeed to buy that book, but I doubt mine will be as nice.