- 1 recipe seitan scaloppine with the following changes:
- add 1 tsp sage
- add 8 dried shitake mushrooms, finely ground (about 1/4 cup)
- use water or veggie broth instead of "chicken" broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6oz thickly sliced cremini mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup marsala
1. Prepare seitan as per the recipe above.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of the margarine and 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute for about 10 mins, until nicely browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from pan.
3. Add remaining margarine and oil to the pan. Dredge seitan in the flour, then fry in the pan for about 1 min per side, until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
4. Add marsala and let bubble, stirring constantly to thicken. Add mushrooms back to the pan and stir. Right before serving, and seitan to the pan, turning to coat with the liquid. Add a splash of water, if needed. Serve immediately.