Sunday, June 7, 2009

Memphis BBQ Tofu

The quest to redefine BBQ continues! When I posted my ultimate BBQ tofu recipe, Justin suggested that I also try using a dry rub a la southern BBQ. Tonight I took him up on the offer and I am glad I did. This tofu is absolutely bursting with flavour and was enjoyed by young and old. I will leave it to Justin and my friend John P. to school me in the ways of Memphis BBQ and tell me if I got it right.

INGREDIENTS
Dry Rub
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste

BBQ Sauce
- 1 recipe sweet and sticky BBQ sauce, replacing the water with 1/4 apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup Jack Daniels (I also strained the onions out before BBQing)

- 1 pkg extra firm tofu, cut in 8 slices

METHOD
1. Combine ingredients for dry rub (it will make about 2x more than you need, so store the rest for next time). Rub all sides of the tofu with about half of the mixture and let sit for at least 30 mins.
2. Heat half of the grill to high heat. Oil the grill and grill tofu for a few mins per side to get some nice grill marks and to make the outside golden and crispy.
3. Move tofu to the other side of the grill (i.e. the one that is off) and spoon thick layer of BBQ sauce over top. Close the top and cook for 5 mins. Flip tofu over and repeat. You can serve it now, or you can sauce it again.