Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cinnamon Buns: Baking Through the Bread Baker's Apprentice

I am now into the cinnamon section of the cookbook, which is a pretty nice place to be!

GENERAL NOTES
1. I made 12 buns--this made for a good size, not too big or too small.
2. The recipe calls for quite a bit of cinnamon-sugar filling. I found it spilled out when I cut the roll of dough, so I sprinkled it on top of the buns so it did not go to waste.
3. The recipe also makes WAY too much icing (4 cups). This could easily be halved, if not more.
4. I did not care for the orange extract in the icing and would just use vanilla extract next time.
5. The recipe calls for bread flour or all purpose flour, so I used half and half. This made for a nice chewy bun that was still tender.

VEGAN NOTES
1. I subbed an equal weight of soy yogurt for the egg.
2. I subbed soy milk for the milk.