Sunday, June 6, 2010

In Praise of Smoked Paprika

I finally got around to getting some propane for the BBQ. Usually I grill right through the winter, but I think the cold temps and snow up here in the north is slowly sapping my will to grill. Either that or I am getting old. In any event, I inaugurated BBQ season 2010 with grilled oyster mushrooms. I can't get enough of these because they really have a great grill flavour and texture. The perfect addition to any grilled menu are these potatoes, tossed in smoked paprika. If you have not had smoked paprika, get thee to the bulk food store post haste! Smoked paprika is great for many things (southern tofu, for example) but I particularly like it on potatoes since it makes a great brunch dish, or a side for a BBQ meal. Pictured is a pound of baby red potatoes, boiled for 15 mins, until soft but not mushy, then chopped in half and fried in a bit of olive oil. When potatoes are cooked with a crispy outside, season with kosher salt to taste and toss in about 1 tbsp of smoked paprika. I like to add it when the pan is still hot so it smokes a little before it coats the potatoes. Truly addictive!

11 comments:

danamite said...

Had a nap this afternoon and I dreamed of potatoes and these babies are going to satisfy that craving... also, anyone who knew in what weather we Canadians cook in would lose the will to grill immediately! Keep up the good fight!

CrookedMoonMama said...

Oh yum! We just bought our propane tank last weekend. :)
Smoked paprika I haven't tried yet, but we love the smoked sea salt.
xoxo

Eimear said...

Hooray, my favourite spice:) I call it vegan bacon- I use it in place of liquid smoke (which is difficult to get in the UK) to make Isa Chandra's tempeh bacon. The potatoes look so yummy:)

Mylène Ouellet said...

Isn't smoked paprika great? I got hooked on it over the holidays when I found some at small Mennonite-run country store near Reading, PA. (I love your blog, by the way!)

Christine said...

Smoked paprika is wonderful! It's the key ingredient in my split-pea soup. (I have friends who say that liquid smoke would be just as good a substitute for the meat, but that's more processed than I want to rely on, as my husband has allergies to certain preservatives.)

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Those potatoes look perfect-- and I'm a huge fan of smoked paprika, too.

Happy Grilling!

Rachel said...

I completely agree! Smoked paprika is my absolute favorite spice. I used to completely skip paprika because I could never taste it and it seemed like a pretty spice-less "spice." Now, I skip other spices in favor of the smoked version because I can't get enough!

Carissa said...

Thanks for posting on what to use smoked paprika with. I was watching food network one day, and it seemed like everyone was using it! So, I went out and bought some and it's just been sitting in my cupboard. Now I know what to use it with! Thanks!

The Charity Shop Fairy said...

Why can't I ever get this to work!? All that happens is the brown crispy bits stick to the bottom of the pan and I end up with slightly smushed spuds. Am I overboiling them? Is it because I'm using a cast iron pan? Is the answer 42?! Help!

dreaminitvegan said...

Smoked paprika is wondeful isn't it? These potato's look great!

Vegan Dad said...

The Charity Shop Fairy,
The key is not boiling the potatoes to death. They need to finish cooking in the pan, so you should boil them first until tender, but not done. Then, make sure you oil is hot and get a fryin'. Cast iron is fine (even preferable) as long as it is well-seasoned.

And, the answer is always "c."