Monday, October 1, 2012
Pumpkin Ice Cream with Candied Pepitas
Just in time for Canadian Thanksgiving comes this delicious ice cream that is filled with fresh pumpkin, and is lightly sweet and subtly spiced. The creaminess and smoothness of the ice cream is complemented nicely by the sugary crunch of the candied pepitas. The recipe for the pepitas comes courtesy of Isa--it is her sugared walnuts recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Thanks, Isa! The kids were not crazy about the seeds, so you can make it without them if you like.
Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 2 cups diced pumpkin
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4.5 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
1. Place pumpkin, soy milk, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to bubbling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove cinnamon stick and cloves and discard. Add coconut milk, sugars, and nutmeg. Blend smooth with an immersion blender, or in a blender. Return to medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Whisk corn starch into the 1/3 cup of soy milk. When pumpkin mixture is steaming, slowly add cornstarch mixture. Keep stirring until mixture just begins to bubble.
4. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla.
5. Let completely cool in the fridge, then make as per the directions suited to your ice cream maker. Fold in the candied pepitas at the last moment, then fully chill in the freezer before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 275. Lightly grease a piece of parchment paper.
2. Toast pepitas on a baking sheet for 8 mins, stirring the pepitas after 4 mins. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
2. Put sugar, maple sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to bubbling over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Continue stirring for another 3 to 4 minutes, until thick and a deep amber brown. Remove from heat and stir in pepitas.
3. Spread pepitas on the prepared parchment. When cool, separate as best you can into individual seeds. Place in the freezer until ready to go into the ice cream.