every Thanksgiving. There is something about the crisp weather and fall colour that makes me want to put vegetables in a crust. I mean, look at this scenery!
Makes nine 4.5 inch deep dish pies
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 1 pkg tofu, small dice
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp poultry spice
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1 cup hot water (from cooking veggies above)
- 1 cooking apple, shredded
- 1 cup peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups small diced potatoes
- 1 cup small diced carrots
- 1 cup small diced butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped yellow beans
- 1.5 recipe pie dough, minus the sugar
- nine 4.5 inch deep dish aluminum pie plates
1. Get a large pot of salted water boiling.
2. Melt margarine in a large frying pan over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and celery for 10 mins, until a nice golden brown. Add mushrooms and fry for another 3 mins. Add tofu and fry for 2 mins. Sprinkle flour over and mix/fry for another 2 mins.
3. Add spices, then slowly add soy milk and stir well. Mixture will thicken.
4. Meanwhile, add potatoes, carrots, squash, and beans to the boiling water. Boil for about 5 mins, or until potatoes and carrots are slightly tender. Remove from water (but save the water) and add to tofu mixture. Slowly mix in 1 cup of the water you used to boil the veggies. Add shredded apple and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Let mixture fully cool in the fridge.
5. While mixture is cooling, make your pie dough. Roll out slightly more than half of the dough (for the bottom crusts) and cut to fit the pie plates your are using. Make sure to cut a big enough circle to leave you some overhang. Fill each crust with cooled filling. Roll out remaining dough for the top crusts and seal as you would any pie. Poke some vent holes in the top.
6. Place pies in the fridge to cool down and firm up. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with your rack in the bottom 1/3 of the oven.
7. Bake for 45-60 mins, or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden.