Oh, the weekend, how I love thee. I always try to bake some bread or some muffins that the kids can take to school in their lunches. These banana hemp muffins are great--packed with protein, a touch of sweetness, and easily converted to a low-fat recipe. I found an old mixed CD that I made for Vegan Mom when we were dating (ah, the sign of true love in the early 90s!) and rocked out to some tunes I had not heard for a while: REM's "What's the Frequency Kenneth?," Midnight Oil's "Beds are Burning," James' "Sit down," BNL's "When You Dream." With all the rocking out I forgot to put in the baking soda, so excuse the somewhat unleavened look of these muffins.
Makes about 16 muffins
- 6 really ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup oil (or applesauce for low-fat)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp powder
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350
1. Mash bananas really well in a large bowl. Whisk in oil and brown sugar.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix. Spoon into lined muffin tins and bake for 20-22 mins.