Monday, November 5, 2007

Green Rice

OK, before we get to the recipe I promised from yesterday, let me share my excitement at getting my blog linked to from the Post Post Kitchen Website. So there I was browsing the website for recipes and ideas and there it was under the "foodness links"--Vegan Dad! Maybe this isn't a big deal, but seeing as how I idolize Isa and use her cookbooks all the time, I am pumped!

Green Rice
This recipe calls for 2 fresh green chiles. The only thing I could find here (I would hazard a guess that the Mexican population here is close to zero) were jalapenos. The heat nearly blew my face right off.
INGREDIENTS:
- 2 fresh green chiles
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup each, chopped cilantro and parsley
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- salt to taste

METHOD:
1. Put rice in a small bowl and cover with boiled water. Let stand 20 mins, then rinse with cold water.
2. Meanwhile, roast the chiles and pepper (under a broiler, on a dry skillet, or on the BBQ (the best way, I think)). When skins are blackened, place in a bowl and cover tightly to let steam for 10-15 mins. Remove, stem, seed, and peel off skins.
3. Heat oil in saucepan and fry onion until translucent. Add garlic, cilantro, parsley, pepper, chiles, and stock. Blend well with a handmixer. Add salt, if needed.
4. Add rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Cook for 25-30 mins, or until water is absorbed, stirring a few times.