- 2 and 1/4 c. vital wheat gluten powder
- 1/2 c. minute tapioca
- 1/2 c. granulated TVP
- 3 T. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 c. cold water
- 1/3 c. vegetarian stir fry sauce
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. vegan gravy browner, such as Kitchen Bouquet
- 6 c. very hot water
- 2 T. Marmite or other yeast extract
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 1/3 c. ketchup
- 2 T. gravy browner
1. Mix the Dry Mix ingredients in the bowl of your electric mixer with dough hook attachment, or place them in the bread machine in the order given. Add the Wet Mix and knead for about 10 minutes. Let rest for about 1 hour, covered. You can make your Cooking Broth at this time and have it ready. Then knead it for 10 more minutes.
2. Cut into several pieces, then flatten those pieces with wet hands into "steaks." Cut into as many pieces as you like, as thin as you like (they should double in size and thickness).
3. Cook in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours, turning once halfway through. Cool and use in whatever recipe you want.
For Vegan Philly Cheese Steaks
Makes 4 cheese steaks
1. Preheat broiler. Thinly slice half a sweet onion, and half a green pepper. Saute in 1 tsp of oil for 5-8 mins, until onion is golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Thinly slice seitan steaks--about 4 cups worth. Saute in 2 tbsp of oil for 10 mins until deep brown and crispy. Mix in onion and green peppers.
3. Put 1/4 of the mixture on a sliced crusty sub roll. Top with a slice of Tofutti mozzarella cheese. Place under broiler for a few mins to melt the cheese and toast the bun.
4. Top with whatever suits your fancy and serve. I used sliced tomatoes and vegenaise.