Monday, October 20, 2008

Chili Dogs

Sometimes I crave the weirdest things . . . like chili dogs. It's not like I ever ate chili dogs before I was a vegan, but for some reason they have been in my head all day. I looked up a recipe for Skyline chili (I never ate there either when I lived in Ohio) and assembled these paragons of culinary achievement. I had every intention of topping these babies with grated Tofutti cheese, but we were out. Oh well. Next time.

INGREDIENTS
Makes enough chili for 12 chili dogs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup TVP
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder (or more to taste)
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)

METHOD
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic for 7-10 mins, until soft and translucent. Add tomato paste and water and mix well. Bring to bubbling and add TVP and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 mins, until TVP is soft. Add a few splashes of water if chili gets too dry.
2. Serve over veggie dogs topped with the condiments of your choice.

Also, Earth Balance sent me 2 jars of their new peanut butter! I will write a review real soon. Stay posted!