Sunday, November 2, 2008

Perfect Fresh Whole Wheat Pasta

With a little experimentation I came up with a much better fresh whole pasta than my first attempt.

INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup all purpose whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 7-8 tbsp water

METHOD
1. Whisk together flours and salt. Whisk flax into 7 tbsp of the water until it begins to thicken.
2. Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour the flax mixture into it. Mix wet into the dry and bring together into a dough. Add more water, if needed. The dough will be tough but you should be able to knead it without any pieces falling off.
3. Wrap in a slightly damp towel and let sit for 20 mins. Roll and cut with a pasta machine.

UPDATE:
I made this recipe again, and this time I sifted the whole wheat flour, then ground the leftover bran and germ in my coffee grinder (which I use to grind flax seeds, etc.) and added it to the dough. It worked very well and made for a smoother dough.