- 4 large pieces chicken-style seitan, or tofu
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp poultry spice
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1/2 butternut squash, diced
- 2 medium sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken-style broth
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground thyme, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat margarine in a frying pan over med-hi heat. Mix flour and poultry spice together and dredge seitan or tofu in the flour mixture. Fry for 3-4 mins per side, until golden. Remove from pan.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add onions and celery to the pan, and add a little more margarine if needed. Saute for 5-7 mins, until soft and translucent. Add squash and potatoes to pan and cook until both begin to colour deepens.
3. Add broth, maple syrup and thyme to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to bubbling. Place seitan on top of potatoes. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 mins, basting seitan with the liquid, until potatoes and squash are cooked. Add more liquid if needed.
4. Serve seitan over a bed of potatoes.