- 1 recipe pie crust
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 celery rib, small dice
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, small dice
- 1 cup carrots, small dice
- 1 cup beer
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup soy creamer (or soy milk)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp sage
- 2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, thinly sliced with a food processor and tossed in some olive oil
1. Make the pie dough and set in the fridge to chill.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add chickpeas and cook for 5 mins. Add vinegar and mix well, stirring until evaporated. Add liquid smoke, mix well, and remove from heat. Put chickpeas in a bowl and return pan to the heat.
3. Add remaining 2 tbsp of oil and heat. Fry shallots, garlic, and celery for 5-7 mins, until softened. Add potatoes and carrots and fry for 5 mins.
4. Add beer and soy sauce and mix well. Cook until liquid has all reduced. Add flour and mix well. Add enough soy creamer or soy milk to make a thick and creamy stew. You don't want too much liquid or it will bubble out of your pie and make a real mess.
5. Add spices and season with salt and pepper. Stir in fresh parsley and remove from heat.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and make the crusts. I used extra large muffin tins to hold the pies. Roll out the dough fairly thin (1/8" or so), cut into circles big enough to fit the muffin tin. Cut a triangle out of the circle (so it looks like PacMan) and mold into the tin. Use some water to close the seam. Make 10.
7. Fill crusts with filling and slice potatoes. Top pies with 4 or 5 slices of potatoes. Bake for 35-40 mins, or until potatoes have browned and the filling is bubbling.