Wednesday, March 25, 2009

White Bean Bruschetta

I had a serious hankering for some bruschetta, most likely because I had just baked some bread and wanted to put it to good use. Much to my dismay, I was totally out of tomatoes. I decided to sub in some white beans and proceed forth as planned (plus, the tomatoes this time of year are pretty pathetic). I am not sure what I thought of the final product. I liked the flavour, but I'm not sure about the texture of the bread and the beans together. Anyway, here is the recipe if you are interested.

INGREDIENTS
- 12 slices of bread (I cut slices of Italian bread in half)
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or basil, if you have some)

METHOD
Heat the broiler in your oven
1. Lightly crush the garlic clove, then rub on the slices of bread. Brush the bread with olive oil. Place on a cookie sheet. Toast under the broiler for a few mins, until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
2. Toss beans in oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Mix in parsley and divide evenly on the bread slices. Return to the oven for a few mins, until bread is nicely toasted and beans had heated up. Serve immediately.