Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Maple Barbeque Tofu

A few weeks ago I installed the Canadian Living app on my iPod, hoping it would provide some good recipe ideas. To my surprise, I have been bookmarking just about every recipe of the day. Today's recipe is based on a pork recipe, and it caught my interest because it used maple syrup. I was a little disappointed that the maple syrup flavour did not come through in the end--it would be cheaper and just as tasty to use brown sugar. This is very simple and very tasty.


INGREDIENTS
- 1 pkg of extra firm tofu, cut into triangles
- oil
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, or packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp chili powder

METHOD
1. Heat thin layer of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Pan fry tofu about 5 mins per side, until golden.
2. While tofu is cooking, whisk together remaining ingredients. When tofu is done, add sauce to the pan and bring to bubbling. Cook for about another 5 mins, until sauce has thickened and coats the tofu.

20 comments:

jodye said...

Ooh maple and barbecue, two of my absolute favorites!

nora said...

Probably dumb question, but what exactly is chili sauce? Like sriracha (sp!!)?

VeganWoman said...

That looks delicious! thanks for the post!

snugglebunny said...

Will have to try this with seitan.

shelby said...

Love BBQ tofu!

Virginia said...

that recipe sounds great but i would definitely use the brown sugar because its cheaper! thanks!

Bianca said...

Wow! That has like six ingredients but looks fantastic. I love BBQ anything!

Misty said...

This looks delicious. And I love knowing that you are on the lookout for maple syrup recipes. Afterall, I bookmarked you after the maple brussels sprouts post. ;) One advantage to maple syrup over brown sugar, even if the flavor doesn't come through, is that for many of us it's a locally produced sugar product, whereas brown sugar is not.

Veggie Wedgie said...

Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

what is chili sauce?

Karyn said...

I have been looking at a package of extra firm tofu in my fridge and just couldn't decide what to do with it. I was gonna give up and throw it in the freezer and wait for my poor brain to kick into gear.

Now I am going to make Maple BBQ Tofu!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe and thanks for the tip on using brown sugar.

Shelby said...

This was sooo good! I made it with Sriracha garlic chili sauce and WOW it was HOT! Thanks for sharing this. I keep coming back to your awesome blog for inspiration and great food.

Macie said...

Looks beautiful!

Kelly said...

That looks tasty. I always love how you adapt meat-centric dishes to be meat free and delicious.

You also have to love iPhone apps. I got the MacGourmet app to sync up with my computer recipe database and am in absolute heaven. It makes my cooking much more spontaneous and I am more easily able to center my meals around what looks good at the market. Love it!

Eating Consciously said...

the whole foods near me always has something like this, except they use honey of course! NOT VEGAN!

mado said...

three words - oh.my.gods.

This was the easiest, quickest most tastiest BBQ tofu ever! I even liked it better than the Veganomicon Baked BBQ, hands down.

I found it quite sweet and tangy though your right, the maple does not pop out. My chili sauce was a bit on the sweet side to start off with perhaps that would help?

Cheers!
maddy

Laci said...

amazing verstile tofu + Pure veautiful maple + heat = fabulous :)

Vegan Dad said...

I put a link in the recipe to Heinz chili sauce--not an endorsement, just to differentiate it from Asian-style chili sauce.

Aimee B. said...

This looks absolutely AMAZING! I don't have any chili sauce on hand, but the next time I go to the store I'm going to pick some up. I know this one will be a family fave! Thanks for another awesome recipe. :)

Beth said...

I made this tonight for dinner... kids had the tofu sans sauce, but PM and I loved it. Thanks!