Sunday, April 26, 2009

Southern-Style BBQ Tofu Burger

I say "southern-style" because I am fairly sure that no one south of the Mason-Dixon line actually eats anything like this. This dish just kind of came together on the fly and I was happy with the result. I knew the kids would totally freak out if I made them eat greens on anything that looked like a burger, so I let them eat them on the side. They still did not thank me.

INGREDIENTS
Makes 8
- 1 recipe southern-style greens (I left the stalks on this time for some crunch, and opted out of the onions)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, halved and sliced
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu, cut in half vertically, then each half sliced into 4 pieces horizontally
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (more if needed)

METHOD
1. Get your greens cooking.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and saute onions for 5-7 mins, until nicely browned. Douse with as much hot sauce as suits your fancy, mix well, and remove from pan.
3. Add a bit more oil to the pan and fry tofu for a few mins each side, until golden brown. Add BBQ sauce to the pan and simmer until sauce is nice and thick (5-7 mins) , turning tofu regularly.
4. To make the sandwiches, place a slice of tofu on a bun, top with some onions, and then some greens. Add whatever fixin's suit your fancy (I just put some Vegenaise on the top bun), and eat!