Aaaaaaannnd, I'm back! Did I get everything done that I wanted to? Nope. But, I got my major project done so that feels pretty good. In my absence I participated in Vegansaurus' project to veganize the wining recipes from Top Chef Just Desserts (just about the hardest thing I have ever had to do in the kitchen), and just tonight I made the Lemon Pies and Salted Caramel Ice Cream for Vegan Mom's birthday. Delicious!
This is a recipe I have been meaning to share since the summer. It is adapted from Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape, which is both a cookbook and a TV show. You can watch the show here, but I will warn you that he comes off as a culturally insensitive clod, and he whines a lot when he goes to southern India and can't eat any meat. The part in the ashram is just downright embarrassing. I used the BBQ and a clay baker to finish off the dish, but you could also put it in the oven at 450.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp tandoori spice blend
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, cut into rings
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 -2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp tandoori spice blend
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, then cook cauliflower florets for 2-3 mins, until just tender. Drain and rinse with ice cold water. Leave to drain.
2. While cauliflower is cooking/draining, whisk spices (including the salt) into the yogurt, then toss with the cauliflower in a bowl. If you have time, let this sit for a few hours in the fridge, covered.
3. Heat the BBQ to about 500 degrees and transfer the cauliflower to a clay baker. Cook, uncovered (but with BBQ lid down), for 15-20 mins, or until the cauliflower is tender.
4. While the cauliflower is baking, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and saute onion rings for 10-12 mins, until a golden brown. Add tomato paste and water and cook for a few mins more, then add spices (add a splash more water if need be). Cook for one min, then put on top of the cauliflower. Garnish with cilantro, if desired, and serve.