- 1 tbsp finely ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firm tofu
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- oil for frying
- icing sugar
- strawberry jam
1. Get a few inches of oil heating in a pan over med-hi heat. Make sure it is nice and hot.
2. Whisk flax and water together in a small bowl until it thickens. Add flax mixture, tofu, soy milk, flour, vanilla, and salt to a food processor and blend until very smooth. Or, put all ingredients in a container and blend with an immersion blender. Pour into a container with a spout.
3. Test the batter. Drop some batter in the oil. It should sink, then rise to the surface. If it doesn't, add another tbsp of flour. The batter needs to be thick enough to hold together in the oil, otherwise it will scatter instead of making a coherent nest.
4. Drizzle a nest of batter into the oil and cook for a few mins on each side, until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel or paper bags. Repeat with remaining batter. I think the recipe will make about 8 funnel cakes (I experimented a lot with the irons).
5. When cooled a bit, dust with icing sugar. Heat up some strawberry jam and throw that on top as well.