Friday, June 27, 2008

Zucchini Mashed Potatoes

OK, I am sure you saw the pic tonight and thought, "what the deuce?" I was tempted to call these "Three Mile Island Mashed Potatoes" because they look like cooling towers and the attempt at a funky presentation was about as successful as America's foray into atomic energy. The plan was to add finely grated zucchini to mashed potatoes for extra nutrition and taste. But, I thought the boys might revolt at green specks in their potatoes so I tried to a kind of columnar presentation. As you can see it did not work out. The flour I added to make them stiffer made the potatoes too gummy, and the columns flattened in the oven. That aside, the idea is still good. After you make mashed potatoes, add in one finely grated zucchini and mix well. The flavours work well together and it is a way to get kids to eat zucchini.