Monday, June 2, 2008

Vegan Slyders

I have never been to White Castle in my life. Even when I ate meat I steered clear of their steamed hamburgers that have the dubious reputation of passing through you like they were laced with Olestra. But I do like the idea of small burgers since they are perfect for kids. So, behold! This is my first installment of kid-friendly recipes for this month (see sidebar if you have no idea what I am talking about). My original plan was to buy dinner rolls at the grocery store and use them as buns. But, I could not find any without egg or dairy in them so I had to make my own (see here). The boys loved them since they were kid-sized. This is the first time Son #2 has eaten an entire burger bun and all. Usually he gets frustrated with the regular sized bun and just eats the burger and toppings with a fork. I also think this is a perfect recipe to ease omni kids into meat-free burgers since the patties are thin.

INGREDIENTS
Put whatever you want on your burger. These are just some suggestions.
- 16 small buns or rolls
- 1 recipe perfect tempeh burger, shaped into 16 small patties and fried for 3-4 mins per side
- vegan cheese slices
- vegenaise
- sliced tomato
- sliced pickle
- sliced sweet onion
- shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 sliced jalapeno pepper, fried in oil for 3-4 mins
- kethcup, mustard, etc.

VARIATIONS (as pictured above)
1. Double Cheeseburger: slice a bun into three sections. Place a burger on the bottom bun and top with a cheese slice and condiments of choice. Top that with the middle slice of the bun, another burger, a cheese slice, tomato, onions, etc.
2. Jalapeno Cheeseburger: Add fried jalapeno slices in with your other condiments for an extra kick.