Saturday, May 30, 2009

Vidalia Onion Relish

Let the canning begin! My plan this summer is to can and preserve as much as I can so we can rely less on canned food. Fresh and local is the way to go, right? The grocery store has had Vidalia onions on for real cheap lately (not even close to local, I know) and that got me thinking about the Vidalia relish I used to buy at Trader Joe's. Man, that stuff was good. With a little Googling I found this recipe, which seemed pretty much like the relish I used to buy. It is easy to make (if you have a food processor to chop the onions), and taste so good it will make even the lamest veggie dog a real treat.

Speaking of veggie dog-like things, let's not forget our good friend the homemade veggie sausage. I recently made the bratwurst version, grilled it, and was reminded of how quick, easy, and tasty they are.