Makes 2 dozen
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp. salt
- water for thinning, if needed
1. Soak the rice in cold water overnight. In a separate bowl, soak lentils and fenugreek in cold water overnight.
2. Drain the rice (discard the water) and add to a blender. Drain the lentils/fenugreek (save the water), and add to the blender with the rice. Add the salt and blend on high speed, adding as much of the lentil soaking water as needed to make a thin batter (like crepe batter). Add fresh water if needed.
3. Transfer the blended mixture to a large glass jar, and affix a piece of cloth over the mouth of the jar. Let ferment at room temperature for about 2 days, or until bubbly and foamy.
4. Stir the batter, adding water if needed to thin it if needed. It should still coat the back of a spoon but not be too thick.
5. Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When pan is heated, add 1/4 cup of batter to the pan. Use the back of a spoon to speed the batter thinly--start in the middle and quickly spread outward in a circular motion.
6. Cook until the does is dry and the edges start to curl up a bit. Remove from heat to a cooling rack. Spread a thin layer of margarine over the surface of the dosa, and roll while still warm. Store under a towel until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining batter.