Friday, August 8, 2008

BBQ Tempeh Ribz with BBQ'ed Potatoes

A caveat: this recipe is not an attempt to make a vegan rib that has the texture of a meat rib. Instead, this is a combination my love of a) cooking on the BBQ; b) tempeh; c) cast iron pans; and d) BBQ sauce. This is a great dish to make on a hot summer day because it is almost all done on the BBQ.

INGREDIENTS
Serves 4
- 1.5 recipes sweet and sticky BBQ sauce, made with 2x the water
- 2 pkgs tempeh, sliced

METHOD
1. Make the BBQ sauce. Transfer 2/3rds of the sauce to a large cast iron skillet and add sliced tempeh. Place on a BBQ on medium heat (about 500 degrees) and bring to bubbling. Cook for 15-20 mins, or until sauce has thickened and mostly reduced. Baste regularly.
2. Remove pan from BBQ and place tempeh on the grill. Grill 5 mins per side, then return to pan. Put pan back on the BBQ.
3. Add remaining sauce to pan and cook until sauce is thick. Serve.
BBQ'ed Potatoes
Microwave 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes for 4-5 mins. They should be partially cooked--firm but beginning to soften. Thickly slice, let cool, and toss with olive oil. Grill 5 mins per side, until golden.

6 comments:

Whitney said...

I always read your blog. love the recipe's! Keep up the good work!

jennycestcake said...

I've recently developed a bit of an aversion to tempeh, but I could chow on those potatoes all day long. They look incredible!

Kandiss said...

vegan dad...i wish you were my dad.

The Van said...

These ribz (which were my first introduction to tempeh) were delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe.

I found that adding Pickapeppa sauce, a little Jamaican Jerk seasoning, and chili garlic sauce for the hot sauce made for tasty ribz.

Andréa N. said...

I hope you don't mind my using a photo of yours from this post. I wanted to ilustrate my post about tempeh. Brazilian friends have been telling me they have no idea what tempeh is so I decided to write a little about it and the pictures on your blog are simply mouth watering!! Cheers.

Lee Yohanan said...

Thank you so much for this recipe and for all of your wonderful recipes vegan dad!
The tempeh ribs are absolutely delicious and just like you said - celebrate the tempeh & bbq looove :)