Do you know how I keep whining that there isn't an Asian market around here? Well, there still isn't one. Boo. But, I did find a place that has a pretty good selection of Asian food. For those in the area, the Food Basics on Cassells St. and Hwy. 11 has some good stuff. Two things that caught my eye were the green jackfruit (been looking for it ever since I saw these), and vegetarian oyster sauce. Another great find this week: a pack of mixed mushrooms. That led to this dish.
- 1 recipe beef seitan (make sure to fry them, as per the recipe)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup chopped green beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" piece ginger, minced
- 2 cups oyster and shiitake mushrooms, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 4 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
1. Heat oil in a wok over med-hi heat. Add beans and fry for 1 min. Add garlic and ginger and fry for about 30 seconds.
2. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften (about 2 mins). Add seitan to the wok along with the sauces. Mix well and cook for 3-4 mins. The seitan will absorb some liquid (this makes it tender), so add more if it gets too dry.
3. Add green onions and cook for a min or so, until they darken. Serve.