For the dough
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup non hydrogenated margarine
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- soy milk for brushing
For the Filling
- 2 peaches, skinned and chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup wild blackberries
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
Preheat oven to 425
1. Mix peaches with 1 tsp of sugar in a bowl and set aside.
2. Make the dough: mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Mix margarine in with your finger until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
3. Heat milk in the microwave until warm (but not hot) then mix into flour with a wooden spoon. Use your hands when the dough gets too tough to mix with a spoon, then knead a few times on the counter until smooth. Try not to overwork the dough. Set dough aside.
4. By now, the peaches will have released some liquid. Strain liquid out, then add remaining ingredients and mix well.
5. Roll dough into a 12 x 12" square. Use a knife to cut into nine 4 x 4" squares. Place 1/9 of the topping in the centre of each square, then fold into triangles. Press down on edges to seal. Transfer to a cookie sheet and cut 2 slits in the tops. Brush with soy milk.
6. Bake for 12-15 mins, or until browned and insides are bubbling. (I think the oven at the cottage cooks a little hot).
Blackberries in their natural habitat.
These thorns are deadly. The canes do not give up their fruit easily.