Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yellow Curry with Noodles

Since the boys acquired their own plastic chopsticks they have been asking for "chinese noodles." I was more than happy to oblige since I love noodles as much as the next guy. I also love yellow curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen) because of its wonderful color and moderate heat. This is a perfect combination for kids. I have also been trying to figure out a substitute for sea food ever since a reader asked me about how to replace shrimp (I still have no idea!). I thought that oyster mushroom would add a delicate flavour and texture to this dish (like a scallop, or something)--and they do just that. This dish also has thinly sliced seitan. The trick is to freeze your seitan first, then slice it. I store my excess seitan in the freezer, thaw it for 30 seconds or so in the microwave so it is softer but still quite firm, then slice away with my cleaver.

INGREDIENTS
- 1 pkg thin noodles (around 350g or so)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" piece ginger, minced
- 1 generous tbsp yellow curry paste (or powder, to taste)
- 1 small can sliced bamboo shoots
- 2 cups shaved seitan pieces
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 cup oyster mushroom chunks
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 romaine leaves, rolled and thinly sliced

METHOD
1. Cook noodle as per the direction on the package, then rinse with cold water and drain.
2. Heat oil on a wok over med-hi heat. Stir fry onion, garlic, and ginger for 1 min, then add the curry paste. Mix well. Add bamboo and fry for another minute. Add seitan and fry for 1 min.
3. Add coconut milk and hoisin sauce and bring to bubbling. Adjust seasonings to taste. (I don't use soy sauce because it muddies the colour of the curry). Add mushrooms, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 mins.
4. Add noodles, green onions, and romaine to the wok and mix well. Serve.